23–25 January 2019
Nottingham UK

Sat 26 Peak District hike

Strolling into the weekend

Saturday 26th Jan, Peak District National Park.

Update: Snow is forecast from January 23-28, and temperatures might not exceed 5C. Even if the weather is OK in the towns and cities, the high areas can be dramatically colder, and around our meeting point it can be impassable or treacherous by car or on foot. Keep an eye on @naconf and this page for updates.

About the hike

Whenever friends visit us from afar, we look for a chance to share our fave area of the Peak District National Park with them, and we'd love to share it with you also.

Sometimes called The Great Ridge, the stretch of path from Mam Tor to Lose Hill offers impressive views into two beautiful valleys. Pleasingly, the primary ascent from the car park is an easy, stepped path and the six-mile walk mostly unchallenging. We'll stop for mid-afternoon lunch in Castleton before ascending the dramatic Winnats Pass back to the car park. It's a fun opportunity to chat with outdoor-minded attendees on one last mini adventure.

Where to meet

The meeting point is Mam Nick car park, 20 miles from Sheffield, 25 from Manchester, and 50 from Leeds or Nottingham. The hike would start at 10am and should be finished by 3:30pm.

What you'll need

Some money for a pub/café lunch. Ideally, you'll have hiking boots or strong footwear, though well-cushioned trainers (sneakers, if you prefer) are OK if weather is mild and dry. You should wear and pack lots of layers, and obviously bring gloves and hat and a warm coat as it can get cold on the hilltops.You might want to bring some snacks in your backpack, a bottle of water, and maybe a flask of something hot.


If you hope to join us, please email us with your full name and location. if you don't have a vehicle, we can look at finding you a space in someone's car. Let us know if you're driving and would consider helping with carpooling.

Please note...

As mentioned up top, the hike is weather permitting: if there's bad ice or snow in the area it can be difficult or inaccessible by road, so we might have to postpone. A decision would be made no later than Friday evening, 25th Jan.

Facebook event


In-kind partners